It was a big move, big decision, in fact a scary decision. This year I'm gonna do what Ive always said I would do and that is to take a year out and travel the world. I've been putting it off for quite a number of years now, but the time has come and as many people have advised, "If you don't do it now son, you never will". (Wexford accent needed!)
Why have I chosen this. There are number of reasons.
(1) Regret. I've talked to many people who have settled down (mainly in their 30's and above) and one of the main recurring regrets is that they never travelled when they were younger. I can see it on their faces when you bring it up adn they start talking about it. Its just one of those things you should do when you have the opportunity. I aint tied to anything, no major bills,single, young, thats it.
(2) The proof is in the pudding. I have yet to meet anyone that has travelled that regretted doing it. You may get a lot of hardship out of it but they all say its the best thing they have ever done. Next time ask someone who has travelled to give you some advice or tell them where they've been and watch them slowly get excited and passionate as they speak and regurgetate those dormant memories.
(3) Adventure. Im in my mid 20's at that age that where you seek a thrill, you have the energy to do it and check out other places in the world. I think I can firmly say that adventures dont get much bigger travelling across the globe on your own. Its gonna have its ups and downs and thats for sure.
(4) Perspective. One of the main reasons is to gain perspective, what is perspective? Ohh, that is a tough one to put a finger on but yet it is so powerful and can be so life changing. When your caught in your little bubble doing your daily routines of work,sleep eat and play in the same spot, you can totally lose focus of who you really are and what you really should be doing to get the most out of life. By seeing different cultures,religions, people,food,relationships, bueatiful sights on this globe you can look back on where you were, how far youve come and a result, a clearer focus is obtained on what is important, what wasnt important and what you should be doing. (So Ive heard anyway!)
(5) Achieving greater. The most passionate thing I like to do is art, and by art I mean music and video. I love it, I take it seriously and someday I reckon I would be at my happiest doing this. I dont feel quite ready to take this on just yet and I feel this journey will give me the inspiration and motivation I need to achieve this down the line.
Here is a track I have written specifically for my leaving, it came to me before christmas. Its called "Fly & Follow". Listen to it below. I got a friend Danny Danzi to help me out on this one, thanks Danny!
So what am I going to do and how am I gonna do it. Well I guess the whole point of this is that there isnt really any plan??! If you have a stringent plan then surely you cant get the full enjoyment out of travelling adventure and what it has to offer?! The main criteria in this trip is that (1) I am leaving on my own, thats right no one I know is coming with me. That also will be a test in itself, as a person who is unorganised and to be honest gets depressive spells now and again, this poses a big challenge. Not what Ill face as such but lonliness and the vast amounts of time you spend in your own head. (2) Ill bring a guitar, I hope to spend one day in each country busking. To make money, no, not particulary, although it may help with returning on a zero balance bank account! I want to learn my craft, if I can entertain people on a street with just me and an instrument I sure as heck could entertain on a stage with a full band, lights and a PR train behind me!! I have a route plan structured but nothing concrete. However stop one is concrete and I couldnt have picked a harder spot to start in......... India.
What will I miss the most?? Two things, obviously my family and that routine of coming home from work and spending time with them, taking it for granted. This applies especially to my mam, whom I'll be completely honest spoils me rotten! The second thing is my music. I honestly spend most of waking hours, either writing music, singing to myself or hunched over at my laptop attempting to conjure up the next chart topper! Its the main reason why I am actually severly unorganised for this trip, always take on too much. That will be a huge shock and I know I will miss it greatly, hopefully the severe culture shock and foreign experiences will distract me quite quickly!
As organisation of world travelling goes Im pretty sure I am HIGHLY unorganised for this trip, its the day before and Im only starting to fire stuff frantically into the rucksack, not to mention still have to purchase a flight out of India in the first place. lord, but I guess its either one or the other, know what your doing for go with it as much ya can. But only know has it hit me of what Im really doing, its not often you get a emotional compound made of sadness, fear and excitement!
I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the people who have helped me along to this point, wether it is advice, contacts, travel info, travel books, medicine etc There is simply too many to thank and I would hate to leave some one out. Thanks everybody, you know who you are!!
Ok, here it goes.......keep watch on this space.
Welcome to the Blog page that keeps you up to date on whats happening in my personal and my music world! Use the search bar below for your convenience if you need to find a particular blog!